12/30/2012

Some pictures and updates... in no particular order...

I haven't written in a while... Hello Blog Buddies! 
Life has been busy, I have been having a lot of fun.  I have uploaded some pictures, some from my camera and some from my phone, so the order of the pictures is not necessarily chronological... but I will try to explain... and hope I don't lose you in the process.  

This first pic is of Lucy, who doesn't often get blog time because she is not as much of an attention seeker as Stella... although now that I am posting this I wonder if this picture was shared in my last blog post...because it was taken when Dad and Betty came down for Christmas with Jacey and me... Oh well.. here she is... perhaps again... 

I feel very lucky that Dad and Betty came down for Christmas early.  It made it so that this vacation, I didn't have to be on the road the entire time.. and has allowed me to have some me time... which I am enjoying... 

ok... next picture... There was a night a couple of weeks ago where it was kind of rainy and kind of freezing at the same time and the ice clung to the trees... I tried to get some good pictures, but this was the best shot I got...


One day I came home to a couple of packages on my front steps... gifts from Michael, in Oregon!  Petit fours and some chocolate pumpkin bark... I had never had Petit fours before... they look like a box of chocolates, but each one of those squares is a mini two layer cake.  Delicious.  The pumpkin bark is good too, still working on that! 

The Christmas lights in Portland are beautiful.  These are two trees that are outlined with red lights with blue ornaments.  I love the lights in the city.  They are so pretty.  I hope to get more pictures of the lights to share. 


OK... onto my vacation... so far... and my Christmas travels... 
My last day of school was Friday 12/21/12...since the world didn't end it meant that I could continue with my plans... That Friday night I had planned on going to my friend, Jaime's house, to be another person in her house when a man came to install a ping pong table... but the weather was awful and she called and her furnace had malfunctioned and asked if we could cancel.  So I thought about going to a basketball game... but when I received a call from Suellen, my decision to stay home was an easy one... Suellen called because she and Mike had no power and in her refrigerator was several pounds of meat she would be cooking for her family and asked if they could come over to put it in my fridge.  Of course I said yes and she and Mike came over and we got a chance to visit.  It was nice.  It was also nice that I had the entire day on Saturday to pack and get ready to go to NY. I slept in and throughout the day did laundry and packed... and took down my Christmas tree.  I didn't dare to leave it here, drying out, with the lights on.  I packed up my truck with presents and clothes and blankets... and went to bed... the next day I got up and put the rest of my things in my truck, including food I needed to take with me and went for my walk... somehow I ended up at the bakery!  How did that happen? Well truth is, I was ready earlier than anticipated, but I had to wait until a local business opened at 9:00... One of the gifts I got Sis for Christmas was a lobster pot.  Her new apartment is much bigger than her old one and she has room for things like lobster pots... so I figured that I should also show up with lobsters... I got to the seafood place that is closest to my house... owned by the husband of a woman who is the school nurse at my former job.  He was very helpful in knowing how to get those little suckers to NY alive and after packing them in the cooler I was on the road.  

I got to Sis's and managed to get a sweet parking spot right in front her her apartment and we unloaded my truck.  Sis was happy to see me and maybe just as happy to see the lobsters and muscles!  It didn't take long to get those things cooking... 


Oh I should tell you that Davin named the lobsters... as they were awaiting their demise in the kitchen sink.  The one on the left is Jim an the one on the right is Bob... or was Jim and was Bob... Davin helped eat them, the only one of the boys who likes lobster... I ate a few of the legs... the only meat I like on the lobster.  It was nice to bring them to Sis.. not sure why I have not done that before... and apparently some of her friends like lobstah, so I should take some for her friends the next time I go.  

After the lobsters, the boys headed to their dad's house.  Sis had made plans for us to join a party called the 12 bars of Christmas... Someone she works with started this crazy tradition years ago and get dressed up... I thought dressed up meant dressy festive... but to my surprise I was very much in the minority amongst people wearing crazy holiday garb... including Santa hats, wigs,  and lit up strings of Christmas lights... we only went with the party to two establishments... it was quite an operation... about 40 people I would say, maybe 50... most of whom were loud and enjoying the holiday 'spirits' ....converging on a bar.... after spending some time and cash at the bar, the group leader used her bullhorn to organize the group into singing... yes, caroling, to the 12 bars of Christmas... a song which sounds much like the 12 days of Christmas... oh, and there were song books that were given out so everyone could sing along.  That was funny!  It was fun, but I was relieved when Sis and a few of her friends decided to go back to her place to enjoy conversation.  It was a good night.  The next day was Christmas Eve and was the day Sis and I would spend with the boys as our Christmas.   

In previous years when I have been in NY for Christmas, usually with Dad or Mom and Dad, the opening of the presents was stressful.  The dynamic was... chaotic... the living room was always filled and by filled I mean hardly room to sit because it was so full of presents... and the boys never knew how to navigate it and their stress increased and Sis's stress increased and it was uncomfortable... THIS Christmas was so different... The boys were excited to open their presents, but it was also calm... they took turns, watched each other and appreciated the gifts they got... none of which required batteries, chargers, or uploading... there was laughter, sharing, and excitement...but a calm excitement if that makes sense... It was nice.  

Here are some pics of the boys sporting their Cabela's sweatshirts Dad and Betty gave them... perfect fits! 

Ben.. or as I have come to call him Benny Bo Ben Ben... He loves that nickname!  


Not exactly sure what Jack is doing here... but I said strike a pose... so I guess I got what I asked for!

And last but not least...Davin..  with his sweatshirt from Dad and the hat I got him... Yes, he is almost up to Sis's shoulder!  

I am sure Sis will hate me for posting this, but ... here is a pair of earrings Betty had gotten for her... they looked fabulous! 

And speaking of earrings...
 These two pairs are awfully similar... both are 'tree of life' earrings... the ones on the left are ones Sis bought for me, the ones on the right, the ones I bought for her!  Too funny that we would get something so similar for each other... reminded me of the Christmas where Sis and I had bought the book "I'll Love you Forever" for Mom and Dad and as we continued opening presents, (Sis was in NY I was in Maine) there was a present from Mom and Dad... a copy of the SAME book along with a wall hanging... it was crazy!  

As the day unfolded Sis had hoped to have her new kitchen table and chairs set up so that we could eat together for dinner... we had all gone to the furniture store the night before to pick them up and with sporadic help from each of the boys got all of the chairs put together.  And then... it was time for some games!  This one was canasta... with Ben, Sis, and me... After talking with one of Sis's friends the previous night, who is also the mother of one of Ben's best friends... we learned some of what Ben has been learning in his health class about sex education.  This was Ben's reaction when the topic came up... 


This photo, not taken in the same game... was taken on the day after Christmas... when Sis was at work and Ben and I were playing canasta... Ben was determined to beat me... and in the second hand, he kicked my butt... but as it is with canasta... winning the battle does not mean winning the war... I kicked his butt... Canasta etiquette says take no mercy... but in the moment, he was happy! 

Later Davin got in on the canasta action.  He is a competitive little bugger! 


We were able to have Christmas dinner together, around the table.  I made Mom's homemade macaroni and cheese... and I must say... it came out really delicious!  

I had planned to come home on Thursday, but Mother Nature had other plans... she dumped about 8 inches of snow or more on us in NY and I knew I would be staying an extra day... Sis had Thursday off and we had all planned on playing in the snow.. but, as we were all getting ready to go... Sis stubbed her toe... badly... and when I say badly... I mean BADLY... it was her left foot, the second smallest toe... and it was perpendicular to how toes are supposed to be... crossed over her pinky toe... instinctively she sat and grabbed her foot and when she did that, she somehow put it back in place... sort of... I do not know how she did not pass out.  She ended up heading to the ER and I stayed with the boys... and after she got home, she was in no shape to go outside... but the boys wanted to go out and I needed to go see if my truck was plowed in... so the boys and I (me without winter boots and only sneakers...yes stupid!)  headed to my truck... while I dug around it the boys built this snowman.  

After getting my truck dug out enough that I thought I would be able to move it the next morning the boys wanted to head to their favorite hill in the park... my feet were freezing!  We eventually got there and the boys headed up the hill... Ben was first...

I love this picture...Ben is so tall, a bit taller than Sis... and looks more and more adultish every day... and yet in this picture, he is still a little kid... my Benny Bo Ben Ben... 

Then Davin was up... He has had a pretty bad cough and kept wanting to take his hat off and I wouldn't let him take it off, not wanting him to get sicker... 

Davin... is not necessarily the most graceful of the three boys... he seems to enjoy crashing and rolling down the hill...which led to his hat flying off a few times!  

As Davin ascended the hill to take the sled to his brothers, they did what most brothers would do... attacked him with snowballs! 

Jack's turn... he was determined to go further than the brothers and did...

As the boys were sledding I noticed another family in the park with a real toboggan...I was surprised to see it being used in this way... but was impressed the dad didn't fall.  


Jack came flying down the hill, gained speed, and caught some air... 

Then... Davin... attempted to get on the sled mid slope... Hey Davin, you sure that's a good idea?

uh oh... he's going backwards... 

Tuck and Roll, Davin!!!  This kid came up smiling!

He later redeemed himself... catching some air on their jump.  

Davin, where's your hat?

The boys wanted to stay for a long time, but my feet were getting cold... I told them they could each get a couple more runs in... Ben made his a good one, hitting the jump, but I took the picture a little too soon.  

Then Davin caught some air... and Jack thought he could do better. 

The jumps look pretty similar to me! 

 One morning Jack and I were up before the others and he decided he needed some cuddle time... actually I think he was cold and wanting to share my quilt... but I took the cuddling!  
 I also have to say that Sis and I got a lot of time together.  I am so happy to have those moments again.  I feel like they had disappeared for a while... and have been reminded of how much I need her and how much my friendship with her means to me.  Love ya, Sis!!! 
After some amazing time with Sis and the boys.... it was time to head home... It was a beautiful drive on Friday.  The sun was out, and most of the drive involved seeing lots of snow.  I was happy that the roads were clear and the traffic was pretty light.  

Oh... I tool this picture with my phone at the grocer store... to show Sis that I had found the delicious salad dressing she had shown me at her place.  It is delicious.  DAD and BETTY, you would LOVE this stuff, look for it at your grocery store! 


When I got home Friday I was pretty tired... the cats were happy to see me... well Sheldon and Stella were happy... Lucy was mad at me and hid under my bed for a while before coming out to say hello... then she stared me down from the other end of the couch before giving in to needing some loving... I shoveled my back deck as well as a path from my deck to my parking area to try to make it easier to carry  my trash out etc... I hate shoveling, did I ever mention that? Oh, I also ordered boots that I think will be good to wear when I go snowshoeing... which I think I am going to attempt next weekend.   (Unless I get inspired to tromp around in my backyard before then!) 

Saturday I got up and went to my hair appointment.  I was looking forward to it.  My hair dresser had been on maternity leave and I was overdue for getting my hair cut... she had time to blow it out straight... here is a picture of me with straight hair... 
The lighting isn't great, but it shows how straight it is and how long... and that's with just having taken over an inch off.. It is a nice change.. but... hard to manage... because it is so long, it gets caught between my back and chairs, etc... and I am not used to the fly away hair... on many ways... I like my curly hair better!  

After getting my hair cut I went to the art store and bought paints!  I have been wanting to paint for a while... haven't really painted anything since Mom died... and have been wanting to... I also found this sign... which did not have any border on it.. it was just plain white with the words on it.... I loved the saying, so figured I would use it... and then decided I wanted to add to it... so I started working on it... started by painting a  black border.  


Then I started adding some color into the letters... 

Then wanted to add some color to the black border...which required a few coats...

The finished product:
So while it isn't wicked creative.. it did get my painting... and I have started another piece... not sure if I am going to like it or not... maybe you will get to see it, maybe not... but it's been fun to try! 

Today's paper:

Last night the first gay couples were, by law, allowed to be married.  The paper had two great articles about this and I found myself tearing up as I read them... One couple who had been together for the last few years had a moment of silence during their ceremony to honor one of their uncles who had been murdered years ago due to his homosexuality... It's about time that we demonstrate equality... Congratulations to all of the newlyweds! 

In other news... today was day 39 of my 100 day challenge... it is getting easier to incorporate it into my day... and I am feeling better... today I woke up to several more inches of snow... and decided that my 30 minutes would be used to help others... I cleaned off all the cars in my parking lot... shoveled my back deck again and re-shoveled a path from my deck to my front parking lot... while I was out there, this clump of dried flowers blew by... kind of pretty... random, yes... but pretty... 


So... there's not much new here... except that I am enjoying my vacation.  
As 2012 comes to a close I do reflect on it as an amazing year that included a new job, a new home, closer relationships with my friends and family... 2012 may be the year I once again found my smile!  

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place