3/30/2010

Ayuh.....

So... my knee theory... is pretty much right...I had an evaluation today, with a physical therapist... and the verdict is... he is 99% sure that my iliotibial band is too tight... causing the pain... the other 1% is a possible tear in the meniscus or cartilage... but very unlikely... so... this iliotibial thingy... usually is aggrivated in people who are very active, runners and serious walkers... is it strange that I take some sort of pride that I am under the same umbrella as very active people, runners, and serious walkers? Trust me, that pride is short lived when I talked to my PT guy about the half marathon... when we talked about it, he furrowed his brow... (it's a handsome brow by the way, a handsome married brow...) and said he will try... to get me to a place where I can do it... but.. he said IF I do it... I will be in significant pain afterwards... hmmmm... how bad do I want this.... pretty bad...

So... for now... my orders include, icing my knee after I do any activity... Aleve or advil as needed... limit my walks to no more than 1.5 miles at a time AND I have to take a full day off in between walks... he made me promise this... he knew I was trying to find ways around the restrictions... he even said no to swimming because sometimes some of the kicking can irritate it...

It's funny... because at the evaluation today, at first, I was having no problems or discomfort... and I started going to that dark place where I was when pvns first entered my life... having real pain and thinking nobody would believe me... but after several other movements, we found the pain, and hopefully we will find some relief for it...

I am no stranger to physical therapy... and when my doc said I needed to go, I asked to go back to the place I have been before... so today when I returned, there were familiar faces... which is nice... they were worried I was there for my other knee, that things were not going well...I was happy to report that was not the case. I told them that I like them so much, I HAD to come back... It is nice that I have a place in which I have confidence, where I am comfortable, with good people... I feel like IF there are any people who can get me to a place where I can safely walk the upcoming half... they will... and I trust them enough that if they say I shouldn't do it... I won't... as much as I will hate that... I will do what they tell me I should...

So... we'll see...

1 comment:

Carolee said...

oh, boy.

FYI, that's what i had to have physical therapy on after my marathon.

yes. you will be in extreme pain afterward.

it's a big decision. don't be too stubborn.

you're still fit and successful even if you sit it out.

:(

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place