3/08/2010

The universe works...


I am not sure what is going on... in addition to the whole - me jogging thing... something crazy happened at Zumba tonight. I love Zumba... LOVE IT... am a bit of an addict in fact. But when I go to Zumba there are certain ....errr... rules that I follow... the biggest rule for me is that I position myself in the back row... ALWAYS! There are lots of reasons for that. One... I am so tall that I don't like to block anyone from seeing the instructor... two... in the back row, I can shake my booty with less inhibitions... and three... the parts of my body that jiggle prefer jiggling privately... There have been a couple of classes in which my rule has been challenged... recently the back row was full... so I ended up in the middle (front to back middle) and WAY to the left, so that people's eyes were still very much diverted from me... Tonight, however, the universe played a cruel joke on me. I got to class... got my back row, center spot... and after two songs things fell apart. The instructor's ipod thingy was on shuffle, mixing up the order of her songs, and she kept having to go to the sound system area to change the songs... the sound system happened to be in the back of the room, in the corner. (This is yet ANOTHER reason why I believe i-anything, apple, is part of a cult!) So, in order to make the music change more efficiently, the instructor announced that for tonight, she was changing the class... that she needed to stay closer to the sound system... SOOO... the back suddenly became the front. WHAT? Excuse me? So.. my BFA, comfortable in the back row, has suddenly become Front and Center... FRONT and freaking Center! I did think about sprinting to the back of the room, you know, now that I am a jogger ad all... but then thought that doing so would be pretty lame... so I decided to stick it out... and by stick it out, I mean stay there for the duration, not sticking out my BFA... anyway... I am sure there were lots of people who could not see the instructor past me, but, she tried to keep moving back and forth to stay more visible... and I was doing okay... thinking that I could endure this class and next time things would return to normal... a.k.a... the back! But then it happened... EYE CONTACT... with the instructor... as a song began, before she officially started teaching it...my body, not under my control at that moment, began moving to the song, doing the choreography... and as I looked to the instructor for her normal guidance... she gestured to me... motioning for me to join her, up front, FACING the class, for a song... I shrugged it off, thinking she was joking... but she WASN'T! After two refusals, she asked again and then some of my Zumba buddies started yelling for me to get up there... so... I DID... I went to the VERY front, even with the instructor and faced the class... (35+ people there)... and I did the song with her... in front of everyone... with my arm fat jiggling, with my BFA shaking, with my hips moving, with my legs jumping all around...with my heart racing, and my breathing heavy... I did it... and... while I was glad when the song was over, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't make a complete ass out of myself. At least I don't think I did... and... I was able to keep up with all the choreography... and at one point the instructor missed a couple beats and I didn't! (Way good for my ego!) I have seen her and other instructors do that before, bring people up from the class to co-teach with them... but usually it is other zumba instructors or instructors in training... I had never seen them bring up someone who is just a zumba groupie!

So the universe is leading me into new directions.... jogging...and the front of a zumba class... what's next? Maybe I will just go with the flow... and see where I end up... of course that involves giving up some control... which for those of you who know me well... know I don't do well with giving up control.... but... maybe it's time...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place