1/09/2009

A gift...



My students are aware of what is happening with my mom... not all the details of course, but they know that I missed school before Christmas because Mom was having surgery...and they know that the surgery was unsuccessful and that their teacher's mom is sick, very sick, with cancer, and they know the future is bleak.

It's one of those things as a teacher that I debate... how much do I share with my students? Kids are smart. They know how to read people and can tell when the people in their lives are not okay. I believe that when kids see people upset, not knowing the truth is more anxiety provoking than knowing the truth. They would know if I wasn't telling them the truth...and that would damage the rapport I have with them. I have held it together at work, for the most part, but there have been days when my patience is thin and my demeanor is more withdrawn...the kids pick up on that. So, I have shared with them that I may miss school or may have days when I am sad because of the circumstances... and they get it... not in the way that adults get it, but they get it... especially the kids I work with... most of whom have pieces of their lives that are difficult. They get it... and in their own ways...some of them try to comfort me...

Today I received one such gift... from one of my students. She is a young girl, petite, and quiet. I don't know much about her history because I only have her for one class and am not her case manager. She is in the program at our school that is designed for kids with significant behavior/emotional issues. I have never seen her exhibit behaviors that would make me suspect that she would be a part of such a program. She has had difficulty trusting adults and feeling valued in her life. Throughout the year her case manager has told me that this little girl loves math this year and talks about me a lot. I smile when she tells me that, it's nice to hear, but haven't given much thought to it.

Today, she came into my room, well after her class... and managed to find me when there were no other kids in my class. She said she had something for me that she wanted to give me... and she handed me a book... entitled "Teachers Touch Loves." I thanked her immediately and she said, "Open it, I wrote something in there for you."

"Dear Teacher," it said, " I'm sorry you are having a tough year so far. I'm really happy you are my math teacher! Thank you for teaching in a way I understand Math! It's more fun now. Thank You! Love, Student."

The words touched me so much... Her sentiment... her ability to look beyond whatever is going on in her life... to have compassion... for me... THAT is the gift I received today... from an eleven year old girl...

Beautiful...that girl... absolutely beautiful...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place