8/29/2011

Life is what happens when...

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans."

So... at the end of last year, school year, I moved everything out of my classroom that was mine... my microwave, mini-fridge, photographs, office supplies... everything... fully anticipating that I would not be returning to that classroom... that job this year.  I was certain that I would be starting anew... in a new role... and today was, technically, the first day of school with kids... we had our teacher days last week. 

Irene, however, had other plans.  Her powerful winds knocked out the power in much of the town where I teach and school was cancelled.  I did not know this, however, until I was on the road, driving to work.  My coworker texted me to see if there was school and not long after that, the radio announced that my school was cancelled... I decided to go in anyway.. plenty to do. 

At first there were not many people... just the custodian, me, and my coworker that had texted... We were supposed to have received a phone call if there was no school... I also have signed up to receive text messages from two local news stations when my specific school is cancelled... none of those alerts happened... Oh well...

I think my anxiety about being back at my old job... worrying about how invested I will be... has helped me... I have spent a lot of time getting things ready for this year... part of me felt like I got a late start because I had not been in my classroom until mid August, after hearing that I did not get the assistant principal job I had applied for.  Typically by then I would have already reached out to parents and kids... which I still have not done... but I do feel like I am ready to start... my room is in good shape... I have the first few days planned and will have the weekend to work on my plans for next week. 

So... I am off and running... well maybe jogging .. but I am ready.  I am excited... and scared... and maybe that's a good combination.  I think if I wasn't a little nervous... that would mean that I had become complacent... so... deep breaths... tonight... and early to bed... I did not sleep well last night... anticipating the wrath of Irene...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place