9/13/2009

Thirteen and counting...



Today I walked 13 miles! It may have been a bit shy of 13, parts of it were hard to keep track of, but, I know if it wasn't 13 miles, it was pretty damn close! This means that I will be able to successfully walk the upcoming half marathon, 13.1 miles, without falling over. I feel very good about that... and better about the fact that I am not in a ton of pain tonight from that adventure... however I think avoiding the high heeled shoes at school tomorrow may be a good idea... and I also think taking a day off from the gym is also a good idea.

Pushing myself mentally and physically today was difficult at times, but I was very proud of myself for doing it. I have never understood why people run marathons... and have often judged those people as nuts or crazy... and while I will never be a runner, I have a new found respect for people who are. Doing something, like a marathon, or for me a half marathon, signifies something... what it signifies, I think, differs for each person. For me, it feels like a giant victory against PVNS. I think each person who chooses to participate in races that involve the need to run, walk, swim, bike, or a combination of those activities, have a purpose for doing so. I know someone who ran a marathon to prove to the world that her body was not broken. At the time I knew it was important for her, but I also didn't get it... but I think I do now... accomplishing this means not only can I do it, walk 13.1 miles, but it means I can set new goals to do more and I will accomplish those as well... I like knowing I can do things that do not come easily.

And... you can guarantee, after the half marathon, I will be getting one of those 13.1 stickers and plastering it onto my vehicle! Oh yeah!

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place