8/23/2009

Damsel in distress...



Last night I went into Portland for dinner... I was solo, just trying to enjoy the evening, sort of unwinding from the active days with my nephews. I went to one of my favorite spots where I could listen to some live music while sitting outside. It was pretty crowded, lots of tourists. And one lady who really made me nuts.

I think she was sightly buzzed by the time she got there. She was short, petite, blond, wearing a tube top, skirt, high heeled sandals, and had two large accessories... crutches...which due to the two inch heels on her sandals, were about two inches too short... she didn't use them as she walked... just kind of carried them allowing the bottom of the crutch touch the ground every couple of steps...She walked up to the bar and waited for the other people in her party to catch up to her... though why she, the one on crutches was faster than the people not on crutches, I am not sure...) Once they reached her, I noticed she leaned more on her crutches and slightly lifted one of her legs. As the others in her group approached two people left the bar, leaving two barstools open... her husband caringly asked her if she would be okay sitting on one with her leg on the other... and she batted her eyes and said, "Well, are you sure you guys don't mind not waiting for a table... that means you will have to stand up while we're here..." bat eyelashes here.... Of course the dutiful husband told her nobody minded standing around as long as she was comfortable. More of their friends arrived and this woman kind of jumped up to hug them... then, timing it perfectly, slowly sat back down and raised her leg onto the stool, while revealing a small bandage on her knee... seriously? crutches for a boo boo? Damsels in distress... that whole dynamic really makes me nuts. It's a game that women play... some women play. Needing to be saved by someone else... I have seen many women like her who without men around are articulate, intelligent women, but when men are around they do anything to get attention... like pretending to not know how to do things, or being overly drunk, or injured... It makes me crazy.

Is that really what men want? If so, I am going to be single forever... this is more my style:



I have never been one to let others rescue me... and hate it when other women play that game... fight your own damn dragon!

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place