12/08/2008

Friendship




Sometimes in life we are fortunate to find our soul mates... and I am not referring to the man or woman of our dreams, a spouse or partner... but a friend... a friend to whim you feel connected on a level unlike other friendships. A friendship that makes you know more about yourself...My mom has a connection like that with her friend Susan. I am not sure how mom and Susan became friends, but I remember them being friends when I was little. Together they did bible studies and through each other developed their spirituality. Like my mom, Susan had two daughters, slightly older than my sister and me. I remember going to their house and going camping with their family when their dad worked as a ranger in a state park. I have many fond memories of time spent with them. Somewhere along the way Susan and her family moved away. She and mom stayed in touch and we exchanged visits once in a while. As time passed the visits were more sporadic. I think the last visit was like 10 years ago. Since that time mom has often mentioned Susan and wondered where she was and how she was doing. Over the last few months I have heard Mom mention Susan more often. I asked Mom if she wanted to try to find her friend and she said yes.

The internet is an amazing thing... I found her daughter and through her daughter found Susan. This weekend Susan went to visit my mom, spent the weekend with her. They had a blast. Mom sounded soooooooooo happy... so so happy. I called a few times while they were together and each time mom sounded more chipper. They talked, they laughed, they prayed, they sang... together... Susan told mom that she was surprised that mom and a few of their other common friends had remembered Susan... maybe not so much remembered her, but remembered her with such love and passion. Apparently that love and passion has been reciprocated and Susan eagerly initiated a visit with mom.

It was nice to hear the cheerfulness in mom's voice. Really nice. The human connection is powerful... and, at least for the weekend... Mom seemed carefree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great picture!

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place