7/12/2013

yuck.

It has been an interesting week... thankfully I have had some highlights and Sis is coming to visit, so I have something to look forward to!  I got to have dinner with Debbie and her family this week which was AWESOME.  She looks great.  She has always been beautiful... her eyes are so so blue, but she's sporting her short sexy hair and her summer tan, and I loved getting to chat with her and her family for the evening.  thanks Deb!!  LOVE YOU!!

Some parts of the week have been very hard...

I got a panicked call from Sara early in the week.  I was in a meeting at work and didn't get to my phone, but the voicemail was almost four minutes long... her dad, who has been the primary caretaker for her mom, who is not well and is very immobile due to some medical issues, has been hospitalized... it's not good... and now Sara is facing the responsibility of putting her mother in a nursing home and facing the idea of perhaps losing her father... it's awful... to know how scared she is and know there is nothing I can do to ease that for her.

And...Cancer has taken another person... the husband of a woman who was my assistant at my old job died over the weekend.  He had battled brain cancer... and today was the funeral.  The minister said something interesting... he may have said other interesting things, but to be honest I worked hard to tune out a lot of it trying to keep my emotions in check... he said... On Sunday cancer lost its battle against this man... THAT caught my attention.  It is interesting to take that perspective... saying that cancer lost because this man was now with God... in peace... saved... but... I just can't see it that way... Cancer wins... it fights like hell, and there are many many casualties along the way.  I am amazed... that my friend, who lost her husband, has so much faith.  I do not know the details of his passing.  but... I know that he had been moved from being at home to being in a hospice facility... and that things progressed quickly at the end... I hope... hope so much, that he was still him as the cancer began its victory... I hope that my friend did not have to see him in pain, to do things for him one spouse should never have to do for the other... but... I doubt cancer was that generous... but... she remains so devoted to her religion, to her church, and her beliefs... I respect that... the service was long... the place was packed... packed... parking was difficult and I was overwhelmed by the showing, I cannot imagine how my friend felt.  I found her after the service, and gave her a hug.. I tried hard not to be emotional, but failed miserably.  She stayed composed... and I hope my tears didn't make her day harder... she is so strong... but I also know to a point she is going through the motions... I remember at the gathering we had for Mom... that I was able to stand and talk to people... in  away that almost distanced myself from knowing mom was dead... I am going to make a huge effort to see her next week... I hate cancer.  Have I mentioned that?
Another friend of mine recently learned of a parent's diagnosis of cancer... and it just isn't fair.  Prognosis is good... but... it just isn't fair.

yuck.


No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place