7/06/2013

By Yourself?

When I told people I was going to go to NYC for a few days almost everyone asked, "Who are you going with?"  When I would reply that I was going solo, people then said, "By Yourself??!!"  

Yes, by myself.  I love NYC.  I have had some great times there with other people and have a few friends who have asked that sometime I go with them to NYC because they have never been and are nervous to go alone.  I know that if I had wanted to find someone to go with me, I would have been able to do so.  But, I wanted... maybe needed... to go alone.  While school has been out for a while now, I have still been on duty in a way... conducting interviews for new teachers, wrapping up things from last year and looking ahead to next year.  I was able to relax when I went up north, but also wanted to be away from everything that is part of my regular routine... and NYC was a great option.  
This spring I had been looking at what shows were in NYC and there were a few that really grabbed my interest.  Bette Midler was starring in a one woman show which really piqued my interest.  But when I did more research it was a show where she sat on a couch for an hour and talked.  If I am going to see Bette Midler, I want to see her singing.  So... then I knew Tom Hanks was on Broadway in a plan entitled, The Lucky Guy. Tom Hanks? Live? Oh yeah!  I was very excited about that possibility.  Typically when I plan a trip to NYC I choose the days based on hotel and other costs, but this time, I booked the show for the ticket first.  My ticket was for the 7:00 performance on July 2nd... the next to the last performance.  

So... after I got  back from up north I began packing and preparing for NYC.  Map? Check. Flight confirmation? Check.  Lucky Guy confirmation, check... Bus tickets from the airport to Manhattan, check... camera (Of course) Check... clothes etc... I was ready... 
So... Tuesday Morning I called for a cab and was picked up about 7:15 a.m.  My flight was scheduled for 9:30.  I am a bit anal when it comes to being early for flights.  I do not want to chance missing my plane.  Missing a flight and having to scramble to find another one just isn't an option.  I got to the airport in plenty of time.  There was not a lot of people around at that point and security was a breeze.  I checked my bag, though I could have had it as a carry on... but it was kind of heavy and I didn't want to deal with it.  (Though... as a side note, I have decided that I will begin looking for luggage... my duffle bag works fine, but it would have been nice to have something with wheels when I later carried my bag through Manhattan would have been easier... and a suitcase that would fit in the overhead compartment is a must.)  
As I was waiting for my flight I was reading, and from the corner of my eye I saw a man approaching me.  I thought that he was just coming to sit down, but then he kicked my foot ... it was one of the guidance counselors from my school!  We were on the same flight.  His ultimate destination was California.  
Anyway... I was pleased with the flight.  I had paid $10 extra each way, for legroom.  (Which, by the way, also meant I got to board the plane before other customers!) And it was well worth it.  I flew JetBllue and was very very happy with it.  Not only did I have legroom, but the flight was pretty empty so I had nobody beside me!  
The only down side of my flight was that it was very cloudy and humid on Tuesday and the visibility from the plane was pretty bad.  

The flight from Portland to NYC was so short, about 50 minutes in the air.  As we started our descent into JFK I was able to see some of the houses... It makes me think of my dad... and how he would never be able to live like this... with so many houses so close together and so similar to one another...  

After landing I got off the plane and the guidance counselor ha waited for me to leave the plane to hug me and wish me a great trip and I wished him the same.  He too, was surprised that I had booked a trip solo. We parted ways, him to his next leg of his trip and me to baggage claim.  I got my bag and went outside to meet the bus that I had booked to get from the airport to Manhattan.  It is a great system, in theory.  Buy a round trip ticket from the airport to Midtown for $29.  The website explains the system... get off your plane, get your bag step outside and their friendly staff will greet you.  Well... I got my bag, stepped outside and couldn't tell which people standing about were from the busline I had booked.  I started asking people and the woman for my busline had been seated on a bench chatting with someone, seemingly caring less about anyone looking for the bus.  She took my confirmation ticket and gave me a ticket and I thought a receipt... (This will come back later...)  The bus stopped at all of the terminals and picked up a few other people.  As we approached the city, I could see some of the skyline.  Empire State Building! I was getting excited... NYC here I come!! 

It was really hot in NYC, and humid... the bus's first stop was Grand Central Station.  I could have gotten off there, but knew carrying my heavy bag an extra 15 blocks or so would not be fun, so I opted to get off at the next stop, the Port Authority.  This put me about 7 blocks from my hotel.  

I got to the hotel a little before noon.  So... considering I left my house at 7:15 and was checking into my hotel in Midtown Manhattan before noon, was pretty good timing!  I went directly to my hotel to ditch my bag and then wanted to walk around a bit before checking in... but to my surprise, my room was already ready... and I was able to check in.  I was excited.  I was a bit bummed that my room didn't have a great view, but knew I wouldn't be in the room a lot anyway.  I decided to unpack... many times at hotels I have just lived out of my bag, but decided I was going to be in NYC for a while and wanted to feel settled.  So I took my time (Enjoying the AC!) Unpacking and getting everything situated in my room.  By 1:00 I was out and about.  My first stop was the Broadhurst Theater.  I wanted to get my ticket for the show that night and also wanted to know how far from the hotel the theater was. 
Look!  Tom Hanks!!!  I was so excited!  

From there I wandered through Times Square and over to Rockefeller Center.  There were some cool sculptures over there.  They were really tall.  I could have walked under this one!  They were cool... reminded me of the rock sculptures I have seen on the Maine coast, people often stack rocks as high as they can and leave them there.  These ones were similar in their design, almost in the shape of human figures (At least in my mind.)  

One of my favorite NYC buildings is St. Patrick's Cathedral.  I love the stained glass windows.  Unfortunately the construction did not make for great photo opportunities. 

Did I mention it was HOT? and HUMID? I am not a fan of humidity, but was determined to not let it get in my way of a good time, so I marched on and kept hoping for a thunder shower that would break the humidity.  
This statue, can't think of it's name at the moment, is across from St. Patrick's... I always like it... the weight of the world on his shoulders... that's a lot of responsibility. 
 When I was in that part of Manhattan I decided I should get something for lunch, knowing I wouldn't eat dinner until after the show.  I decided to try something new and hip... and got lunch from a food truck.  It was a vegetarian food truck.  I got a hummus bowl with lettuce, some pico de gallo, some guacamole, some corn salad (which was delicious)  that came with a pita pocket and also some falafel.  (Fried chick peas)  I sat in a small park like area and got to watch some New Yorkers who were on their lunch break.  

When I came back through Times Square... this guy was... well.. posing?  It is ironic that his pose is similar to that of the statue above... check out the little girl in the background blocking her eyes... I understand, honey, I understand!  

The sun began shining a bit... 

It was so hot... I decided to stop into a pub for a ice cold beverage.  Rico had recommended this place and I had been here before.  The place was empty, besides a couple of older men who were pretty proud of their Canadian heritage.  
 After leaving the bar I started heading back to the hotel.  As I was walking a man who appeared to be a construction/builder worker guy came out of a building and struck up a conversation with me.  He was very complimentary and then asked me if I was Jewish.  When I said I wasn't he said he was relieved because, in his words, Jewish women don't like black men.  Crazy!  He chatted for a bit as we walked, told me I was nice, and proposed marriage.  Too funny!  
Then I went back to the hotel to get ready for the show.  (And again to enjoy some AC!) 
The show.  TOM HANKS!!!  
I got to the theater about 10 minutes before showtime... (Cutting it close in my usual always be early mindset!)  I was guided to my seat and when I sat down, there was an empty seat between me and another woman.  She said hello to me and I said hello and asked how she was doing.  She told me she was doing well and then asked if I was Irish!  She said I looked and sounded Irish.  I have often been told I look Irish, but didn't think I sounded it!  She was so cute.  She had a very strong Long Island accent and was quite loud with her talk.  She was happy to learn I was on an adventure by myself and said she wished that when she was my age she had known what I already know, that doing things by yourself is the way to go, that you can't wait to do things until you have other people who want to do the same thing.  She said when she was younger she would suggest ideas to people of things she wanted to do and if nobody else wanted to go she would just let the idea go... but, she said, now that she was old, she does what she wants.  She said this play was a good example, that she decided she was going to go and did invite a friend to go who accepted, but she said she was going to go alone if needed.  We talked theater for a while comparing notes on which shows each of us had seen.  She was sweet.  
The show was great.  It was the story of a reporter, Mike McAlary, played by Tom Hanks, and his career in NYC going between working for the New York Post and the Newsday.  It was based on his real life and was a great story.  Tom Hanks was not on stage when the play began... but when he came on stage, the theater erupted.  He was very good.  Waited patiently and made some eye contact with members of the audience.  He established a playful relationship with the audience right away, which was in line with his character.  I have always enjoyed him in his movies. When I have seen him on Saturday Night Live I was impressed with his ability... but to see him live, in a play, was unbelievable.  He is so good.  I must say, though, that without the cast supporting him, he would not have shined so brightly.  The man who played his editor was Courtney Vance and he was AMAZING!  (And is married to Angela Basset!)   His lawyer in the play was Christopher McDonald,  a man who played the really arrogant lawyer on the show Harry's Law.  Tom Hanks's wife in the play was played by Maura Tierney, who was one of my favorite characters on ER back in the day.  I am amazed at the dedication these actors have to their craft.  I love that Tom Hanks, who is so famous and who at this point can probably write his ticket to go anywhere to star in anything... chooses to do live theater, to continue to challenge himself... it was impressive.  I made the right choice to come to NYC to see this show!  
After leaving the show I walked by this hotel/cafe.. 


My sister and I stayed here once.. and had a bad experience in the restaurant.  But, if I ever write a movie... that experience would be in it!!  

I stopped by the hotel and then decided to go to a piano bar I had read about online.  I was excited because it was described as a place where customers and staff sing broadway show tunes.  When I walked in, it didn't seem to be the kind of place I thought it would be... so I wandered a bit and ended up at a place called Swing 46.  I could hear the live music coming from inside and they had a small television that showed the people dancing inside.  Swing dancing!  It looked fun.  My feet were killing me, so I had no intention of dancing, but wanted to listen to some live music and get some food.  This was a great choice.  I sat at the bar and got to hear saxophones, trombones, and trumpets, along with some talented singers and got to watch people dancing.  Wow could they dance.  So fun to watch.  The food was great, a Ceaser salad with chicken, and the bartender was very friendly.  A regular was sitting next to me and he was very friendly as well and we learned we were both former bari sax players.  I said that one day when I was rich I would buy one.. he said, why wait? find one that needs some work and have it restored... it would be fun to play again in some kind of organized way.  
It was a good first day in NYC... the next day I had reserved a ticket for 10:30 to tour the 9-11 memorial.  I was determined to take the subway to get there... because it would have been probably a $25 cab ride... vs. a $2.75 subway ride.  An I wanted to challenge myself, wanted to prove that I could do the subway solo.  So I got up and went to a nearby deli and got a breakfast sandwich to take with me on the subway, as I knew I would be on the train for like 20 minutes.  I got on the subway and at the first stop got off... I had done some research and had used hopstop.com to tell me how to use the subway.  It described transferring at certain places, but as I stood in the subway and looked at the maps and listened to the announcements, I figured that I would get to the World Trade Center using the E train all the way, so I got on the next E train...and it worked out.  
I got off the subway and came out onto Fulton Street, very close to Ground Zero.  And this was my first view of the new tower... it did, for a moment take my breath away.  Knowing what was there before... and how many lives were lost... and grateful that we were rebuilding... 


I was early... and waited for a while outside of the 9-11 memorial preview site... and these cops were on these cute little three wheeled segway things... I kind of wanted to ride on one!  Actually, NYC should rent those things out to tourists... I would have been cruising around even more!  

After going into the preview site, in true NY style I was directed to walk to find the entrance to the memorial... about five blocks down and two blocks over... it was easy to find... and I was still a bit early, though looking back nobody looked at the time on my ticket, I should have gone in early... but instead I went to a nearby restaurant/bar that was already open and asked if I could sit and have a glass of orange juice.  (Also needed to use a bathroom and know that they were only available to customers.)  They were nice and I had the best glass of orange juice, freshly squeezed, that I have had in a very long time.  

I went back outside to the humidity and entered the lines to go to the memorial.  My ticket did save me some time, but I on't think it would have been that much different, time wise, to have just shown up.  In order to get into the memorial we ha to go through security screenings, much like the airport.  I do understand the need, especially so close to the 4th of July.  I do hope, after the construction is done, that there isn't security to get to the memorial... I remember being able to go to the WTC and there was no security.  It would be nice to have that freedom back... 
If you look closely in this picture, you can see a plane flying overhead... it was a pretty big reminder of 9-11... leaving a weird feeling in my stomach.  

I wasn't sure what to expect at the memorial.. how I would feel... there were a lot of people there... I think I had expected a very solemn and somber feeling there... and there was some of that, but there was also joy, with the families who were there visiting.  Families smiling, kids running around, putting their hands in the water and splashing each other... my first reaction was: c'mon parents, control your kids, this is a sacred place... but then as I watched the kids squealing with delight and laughing... and thought it brought an important element to the memorial... a sign that life has continued... that we have somehow found a way to get through things... 

Watching people as they touch the names... I wondered if they knew anyone hurt or killed in 9-11... but of course we were all hurt in some way by 9-11... 

The humidity combined with the water feature left condensation on the names...I wondered if the person who wiped this name knew Frances... 

I then noticed this handprint... and it moved me... I wondered again if it was from someone who knew the people whose names were here... but then ... as I walked more... I found myself needing to touch the names, to leave some kind of mark, something to say I was there, I paid respect... 

So I left my handprint... and as I left my hand there.. took a moment to really somehow say I am sorry, to those who lost their lives...and to their families.  

The water features were beautiful... in the light from the cloudy sky the water looked silver... the water flows from reflecting pools... and of course, this is a place where reflecting is natural.  



There were some stone blocks for people to sit on... and I found one where I could get a good view of the tower.. and then... laid back on the stone... because, in order to see all the way to the top without straining my neck, I had to lay down... and... on one of my visits to the original world trade center with Debbie, we strained to look up.. and so, we laid on benches looking up... so... on this visit, I brought a little Debbie with me.  


This kid, in the wheelchair... made me smile.  He was flying around in his wheelchair... going in circles and figure eights... and was smiling... this was a place where his parent or caregiver gave him the freedom to do what he wanted to do... and he took full advantage... how cool to see someone feel so free in this place... 

I tried to do a self portrait... but none of them came out well... this is the best I got!  

After touring the 9-11 museum I debated about what I wanted to do... and wanted to see something in NYC I had not seen.  I decided to go to MOMA, Modern Museum of Art...not to be confused with the Metropolitan Museum of Art ... So I tried to find the subway station that would head me back uptown... and in my travels saw the bull... 

I found the subway station, eventually, and headed uptown on the express train... which made me nervous because in my experience the express means it doesn't stop along the way... and if this train didn't stop I would have ended up in Harlem, which would have been okay, but not where I intended to go... but figured, worse case scenario, I get off in Harlem and get back on headed in the other direction... But... this express, stopped at a few major intersections, and I learned, were shown inside the subway cars on a map that lights up at the stops that the train will make... good to know... So I got off at 79th street... or somewhere close to that... to go to Moma... or so I thought... 
I ended up at the Met... I had mistakenly gone to the wrong place. I was about 29 blocks from MOMA... but on the right avenue... so... I hopped in a cab... (Yes I could have gone back to the subway, but decided a cab ride would be a good way to see Central Park, as Fifth Avenue runs along the park on the East side.)  
This was outside the MET.  

I liked seeing the rooftop gardens on some of the buildings...


Eventually I got to the right place... MOMA... and wanted to see the Rain Room... but there was a 5 hour wait... I am not even sure what it is, but had heard good things about it, but since I got here at about 12:45 and the museum closed at 5:30, I didn't think I would make it... but I am glad I went here... I started in the sculpture garden.  It was a cool area, lots of seating where people can sit and visit and look at the sculptures.  



After spending some time in the sculpture garden I headed inside... most of the exhibits did not allow photography, but some did... an I took advantage.  The artwork was beautiful... for the most part... though there were some that I did not understand why they were art... but I didn't take any pictures of those!  


This one made me feel conflicted.. when I first looked at it I admired the colors and shading... which I noticed before I realized it was depicting violence... and then it made me uncomfortable...how could a violent image be beautiful and soothing somehow... 

No description needed here... The original! 

Sculpture!

Eyes...

After touring all the floors I returned to the sculpture garden for some gelato and water and it began to rain, hard.  I was fine staying outside, but museum staff called us all inside.  I think they were worried about thunderstorms... I liked this sculpture in the rain... 

After leaving the museum, this sculpture was outside... I love this... 

This trip to NYC triggered a lot of memories for me... passing by the Roseland Ballroom reminded me of a dance I attended here when I belonged to the NYC tall club... it was so fun!  

As I walked to my hotel my feet were hurting...  (I should say, that my mistake as I was walking around, was, I changed out of sneakers into flip flops.  Because it was so hot, my feet were sweltering.  I had changed into a skirt too, to try to be a bit cooler and didn't want to wear sneakers with a skirt... I think that the hot asphalt combined with the many blocks I covered was the start of some sore feet over the next couple of days.)  And As I was two blocks from the hotel it began to pour, hard!  I got inside and was soaked just from two blocks... and as the thunder started, it was around 4:00  I decided that I was going to take a nap.  Hoping that when I woke up the rain would have stopped... 

I woke up around 6 and the rain was slowing down... I showered and got dressed up to head to dinner.  I had researched some places online and wanted a casual place that was classy.  I also wanted a place that was not in Times Square... a place where locals frequented but was welcoming to tourists... so I headed to 5 Napkin Burger... and was not disappointed.  It was a cool spot!  
I sat at the bar even though they offered me a table... I wanted to chat with people, so I opted for the bar.  the bartenders were very friendly and chatty.  I learned that this restaurant was owned by someone who owned many restaurants on this block... and that this started because of the burger, the original 5 napkin burger was a menu item at their french restaurant a few doors down... and it became so popular the owners thought they could make a go of it as a stand alone restaurant.  I asked what to get and they recommended the original burger... and it was.. delicious!  It was reasonably priced too, for a burger, Fries and  a beer, plus tip, I paid $22... For NYC? For a gourmet burger? For a great ambiance?  Great deal!  I will return here in a future trip.  I loved the lightbulbs here.  


As I left the restaurant the sun was coming back out and the light was cool... on the sidewalk I noticed these pigeon tracks... for some reason they made me smile... I returned to the hotel for a moment to drop off my raincoat, not wanting to carry it around with me.  

I headed to Times Square... at night it is so bright... and I love the billboards and street performers... 



I tried to find a place to sit to watch people, but there were no open seats, so I decided to walk... I wanted to walk to Bryant Park, near the NYC Library.  I think it is a great park.  Along the way I got this view of the Empire State Building.  

I got to Bryant Park and people were playing Ping Pong!!  It was cool!  My pictures didn't come out, but it was fun to watch.  

Such a beautiful building... NYC Library.  


I walked back to Times Square and there was a really cool thing happening... my pictures did not come out well and I am so disappointed... These men were sitting atop a steel beam, portraying the iconic picture... 

It was so cool... they were not moving at all! I wish my pictures were better!  

After more people watching it was late and I decided to head back to the hotel... check out my blister!  

Thursday morning arrived and I got another breakfast sandwich and headed to Times Square to sit and people watch... It was pretty empty... it's cool to see it this way...




There were a few other people around.. this group was so cute!  They were all dressed alike, obviously, and kept rotating people to take pictures... they were laughing and joking with one another, so happy to be here... I loved it. they made me smile!  

My final morning in NYC...Honestly my feet were tired and sore... the hot pavement was hard on the feet... I had blisters and was pretty content with everything I had done... so just wandered a bit, close to the hotel... found some cool 'art' 


and then remembered I wanted to go to Donna Bell's Bakeshop... owned by the woman who plays Abby on NCIS.  

I went in, it was a tiny tiny place... and I was the only customer... I had to buy something so I bought a chocolate chip/brownie bar... I took it and walked a bit more and found this little area.   


It was a small courtyard area surrounded by a few bars and bake shops... And I recognized one of the bars... it's name had changed, but I remembered I had been here before... years ago when some friends and I came to the city to see Naked Boys Singing, an off Broadway show... good times!  



I returned to the hotel around 11:30... and checkout time was noon.  I could have had them hold my bag for a while and continue to wander, as my flight was not until 5:00 that evening and the bus ride would take about an hour and a half... but... I had heard on tv that with the preparations for the 4th of July celebrations many streets were being shut down and traffic was being rerouted in some places.  I was nervous about not getting to the airport.  And... there is part of me that was afraid to be in NYC for the 4th of July celebrations.. .if  terrorists were going to attack again... why would they not attack on July 4th? Paranoid a bit? Yes... but also feel okay about that paranoia.  So, I checked out of the hotel.. which was fabulous by the way.  The staff was friendly and kind and I felt very safe there.  And the rooms were not closet like.  I will stay here again.  So I checked out, grabbed my bag and headed to Port Authority to catch the bus.  I got there and the ticket man asked for my ticket.  I handed him the second computer printout of my confirmation, as directed by their website.  The guy punched in my number and said that it was declined.  That it had already been cashed in.  I told him that was not possible as I was the ticketholder.  He then asked if I had been given two tickets when I got on the bus coming from the airport.  I said no.  I told him I had been given my ticket and a receipt.  He argue with me saying I had been given two tickets.  I said no, it was one ticket and one receipt, both with a date of July 2 on them.  He said, so the person did give you two pieces of paper.  I told him yes, but that they were dated July 2, and that one seemed to be a receipt and the other was the ticket I had later given the driver on my way from the airport.  This guy was an ass.  He tried to tell me I was going to have to buy another ticket, accusing me of not reading the information in the internet.  Oh no he didn't!  I told him I had read the website which had instructed me to print two copies of my confirmation to use, one on each trip.  I told him the website said all of their employees would be wearing white shirts, yet the driver and many others affiliated with this bus were wearing blue.  He was very condescending and said that he does this every day and that he knows I was given a second ticket.  I told him he was right, he does do it every day and reminded him that most people taking the bus do NOT do it every day, myself included.  I told him it was ridiculous to think I would have redeemed the second ticket, that I would have gone from the airport to Manhattan on one ticket and then would have returned to the airport, then back to Manhattan, and now again returning to the airport in two days.  I argued with him for some time, telling him I was not told to hold on to any ticket for my return trip, that the receipt being dated July 2nd did not seem to be valid.  That I had thrown it away knowing that my receipt was my email confirmation and didn't want to hold onto extra pieces of paper while traveling.  In the end he 'gave' me a voucher to get back to the airport.  GAVE it to me... in his words... bull!  I bought the ticket honey.  The entire time I was in NYC people were kind, customer service was great, and this guy thinks he is going to be condescending and get me to buy another ticket? No way.  You can be sure that I have already contacted the bus company.  But that was the only negative interaction I had in the big city... and that was a reflection on him, not on the Big Apple.  
I got to the airport and had some time to kill... had lunch at a restaurant there and then relaxed... the flight back was pretty packed, but once again, since I had paid for extra leg room I got to board first... and got comfy.. and again, somehow... Nobody was in the seat next to me!  
Check out the leg room!!  


There was a woman next to me on the plane, Anna, who struck up a conversation with me.  As it turns out she had seen Tom Hanks on closing night and we talked about the play.  She was a journalist when all of the things in the play were happening and she shared some of that with me.  She was flying to Maine to pick up her daughter from a summer camp.  She told me she was now on the business end of writing and hated it.. but that the money was too good to pass up... money is really only worth so much, lady... She also dabbles in some of the theater stuff in NY.  She invests in some of the shows... right now she is involved with Pippen... and encouraged me to return to see it this summer... Oh lady... If I had your money I would... but... doubt I will return to the city this summer... but maybe, maybe in the fall!  

Since nobody was next to me I sat in the window seat and got to see the shoreline below... it was neat.  

Love these clouds! 

And... of course I wondered... and hoped... that people use these lakes to kayak!!  

It was a great trip.  I was tired... and so glad that I went.  I think next time... if I stay two nights, if I am solo, I would want to see a second show... 

Now... I have more confidence to travel other places...yes, by myself...  let the dreaming begin!  

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place