7/07/2013

Paddling

It has been a hot and humid week... it was hot in NYC and it has been hot in Maine.  Today I decided to try to beat the heat and go kayaking... I was going to choose a place where I knew I could find a sandy place to swim, but decided instead, to return to one of my favorite spots.  It was a good paddle... I didn't find a place I felt like was safe for swimming... (In my mind safe means no weeds or slime...)  

As I entered the stream there was a loon there to greet me... 


After passing by the loon I came upon another paddler and he asked if I had gotten any good shots of it.  I told him I hoped so and we began comparing notes on the stream.  He has yet to see the otters there, though someone told him they saw them yesterday.  (He lives on one of the lakes that the stream connects.)  We talked about the loons and he told me that he found one of the loons a couple years ago, dead.  That made me sad.  And I wondered if the loon I had just seen was the widow/widower... I think our loon talk made him realize I was a regular in the area and he also told me about a rare plant that he had spotted, close to the site of the old loon nest... and told me to find it... and I did... (But took this picture before, love the ferns here!) 

Here is the plant he told me about... called a pitcher plant... it is carnivorous... at the bottom of the plant are these tube things that collect water and the water traps insects and the plant eats them.  Cool!  



Then this guy landed on my shirt... and hung out for a while... a sign of what was to come... there were thousands of dragonflies!  

And lots of lilies... 

This was one of two duck families... the other duck had a bazillion babies ... 




This guy seemed to enjoy resting on my leg... love the colors! 






Notice the teal eyes... I know someone who loves teal!  



The water was clear today and  I could see many fish... this guy was pretty big.  

One of only two turtles today...

They didn't seem to mind me being around... I had to convince them to leave! 



The bazillion babies family... they were cute to watch.. splashing around...


Bottoms up... they were searching for lunch... 

And were successful with their hunt... snails!!  I did not know they would eat snails! 



After paddling I got to spend time with Sara, Phil, and Maria.  It was fun to see them, as always.  Maria is getting so big, so grown up!  It was a wonderful day... 

When I came home... I learned that the husband of one of my friends died today.  Brain cancer.  
I hate cancer.  

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place