11/24/2012

Thanksgiving part 2

So I am home.... and just uploaded pics to my computer and decided to share.. No big epiphanies... just pictures... 

This first picture isn't a great picture, but it is something that I see every time I go 'home' to visit.  Maine is the pine tree state and as I drive north the highway is lined with pine trees... greenery... except for a few places.  One of these places is a small patch of white birch trees that separate the north and southbound lanes... it is beautiful... and when I get to those birches, I know I am close to home... 
I have hopes that I will do a painting of this area... my version of course... and wanted a picture to use when that time comes... so I pulled over to take a few pics... 

This picture... I posted yesterday... or at least a similar one... it really reflects the serenity of the lake... I am so glad to be able to have this spot as a place I can return to... where my family meets... 



It really is something else... 
This slate is hung on the lakeside of the house.  It's one that Dad brought with him... one that Mom painted... I like that it is there... like that it says 'our' home... I feel like Dad feels like the house at the lake is his house.. home... and I like that.  


While there, as I mentioned yesterday, we got to enjoy the company of Jacey's cats, kittens I should say... They are really cute.  

Dad has always been a cat person... growing up we had a cat that was very loyal to Dad... Whenever Dad is around my cats he plays with them.. and has even been known to crawl on the floor to engage them... Jacey's kitten's bring out that grin in him... which I love... happiness & joy... I have thought a cat would be good company for Dad, at the lake, while Betty works, but... he insists that he does not want one... I would never get a pet for someone unless I was sure that they wanted it...but I do think he would love it... except in the summer when he is in his camper up north... which is a valid point... but... look at that face! 

Speaking of faces... look at Jacey's!  She is a self proclaimed crazy cat lady.  I love it!  She is enjoying their company and is a great kitty mom.  

While up there... I made an effort to go for walks... as I contemplate doing another 100 days of activity in a row... today, made for day 3... a long way to go if I want to get to 100.  But... have to start somewhere.  
The first morning I walked towards the lake, down some roads I had not been on... and it was so foggy... couldn't even see the lake.  

As I was walking I saw this... what I assume is moss of some kind... though it looks more like algae.  Thought it was cool...

The same 'moss'was on this tree...

It was just cold enough that there was a bit of frost... I took some pics of some iced over puddles, but they didn't come out... this is the only pic of the frost that was decent... I like how the frost articulates the lines on the leaves...

This... isn't necessarily a great picture, but I wanted to post it because it has my Aunt Donna in it... the lovely lady on the far right... I have mentioned her here and want to talk about she and her sister...

Her sister is my Aunt Sharon... (Sorry it is not a great pic of you Aunt Sharon, I took very few pictures!)  She is the lovely lady at the far end of the table.  
Donna and Sharon have taken over the big job of organizing our family gathering.  They get together the day before to arrange the tables and chairs, and get plates and napkins... it is a lot of work.  The responsibility falls on them because they are the local ones... and while I know they enjoy the gathering, I am also sure it is exhausting for them.  They are amazing ladies!  Please know how much we appreciate it, Ladies!!! 

I couldn't put a picture of Dad, his sisters, and not include a picture of his brother... so here is my uncle....
His reputation precedes him...In the picture with him, is one of my second cousins (in law)... she is in the army, stationed with her husband  (My second cousin) in Alaska. This was her first Thanksgiving with our crew and she had heard all about Uncle Wayne's legendary ice cream.  She was first to help him open it for all to enjoy!  


Here are a couple more pics from the walk I did the next day... this time I went away from the lake.. up hill... a long long hill... 


And another of the kitties... I am so glad she has two, to keep each other company...

I came home today... and it was pretty nice out... so I decided to head to the beach... where it was windier and colder than I anticipated...










This picture... below... shows how hard the wind was blowing...

There were a couple of ladies braving the cold water and wind to catch some waves... maybe something for my nephews to do sometime....

I had such a good visit... and am glad to be home...

Life is good... 

I have much to be thankful for... 



No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place