3/17/2014

A work story... and a drag queen!

Today I had one of those moments that will motivate me for a long time...

I have a student who I have known since October... his life outside of school is... chaotic...to say the least... Last week he cut out of school a couple of times and arrived to my office today ready to face the music as the adults from the program he is in told him I would need to see him... He came in and was ready to take accountability for his actions... which is huge for him... I had also learned that his aunt, last week, had just been released from the hospital with stage IV cancer and has gone home to die... sad... because of the dynamics in his family he is not sheltered from his aunt's disease in ways he should be.  He was very anxiety ridden while we talked... I divulged that I understood how he may be feeling because of losing my mother... and told him he could talk to me whenever he wanted.  I told him that I was not going to punish him for missing classes next week... he is fairly new to the program he is in and I felt it would be unfair to come down hard on him without telling him what the expectations were.  He seemed so relieved at this... It was a good conversation and his social worker was with us.  I told him that for me, the concern is not as much about him leaving the program for the day as it was trying to help him learn to handle things differently... to be able to talk to people first to let them know he is having a hard time and try to trust that we will help him instead of bailing... he said that he will do that, that if he needs to escape he will go only to the social worker or to me... and I told him it was a great plan.  With certain kids I make a point to shake their hands after these conversations to show the kids that I respect them... As I extended my hand he got up and shook his head no... and said... nah.... no handshake... I'm gonna hug you... and he did.  It almost brought tears to my eyes. 

That's a kid for whom I hope, will begin to trust adults... and maybe will let people help him. 

That is a good moment...

And to top that off... after work I met up with someone who went to my high school.  We were four years apart so were not there at the same time... He lives in the same town where I live.. and he is a drag queen.  I had ordered a pair of boots online that were a bit too small for me... and instead of sending them back, figured I would see if he could wear them.. and he could!  He was so excited! 
Give when you can give... He will have way more fun in those boots than I would have! 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place