3/24/2013

Better Balance

I talked with Dad and Betty today.  Betty talked to me about making sure I find time for myself... to find fun. I do need better balance.  Work is going well, I still love my job, but it is tiring.  Last week felt like a very long week, despite having a snow day.  I do need to find ways to recharge, re-engergize... I am just not sure how to do that... although kayaking is a good option once the snow melts... hard to believe that a year ago I already had a couple of trips under my belt.  I am in the midst of craziness at work... it's budget season which means lots of meetings and I am also serving on the committee to hire a new principal... which is also time consuming.  Last week was crazy... seems like most are... Some of the highlights involve a big fight, trying to manage two students who are in a mutually abusive relationship, and a Friday afternoon of drama during which the principal asked me to walk around the building with him... I was not impressed with that request.  I have no idea why he wanted me to accompany him in the halls... though I heard later that as he was walking the halls solo and asked some students to go to class they asked him who he was.  So part of me thinks after his afternoon meeting was cancelled he got a bee in his bonnet to walk through the halls and get kids back to class and after kids asked who he was, he decided to continue his journey, with back up.  I was in the midst of dealing with a sensitive situation and when he stopped in asking me to go for a walk I told him it wasn't a good time, but he was persistent.  I like him.  I have learned from him.  I have appreciated his approach with things... but there are things that have been concerning... On Friday afternoon as I was trying to deal with a situation and he interrupted me, his lack of social awareness rose to the top of the list of concerns... But it all worked out in the end... well... I won't truly know until next week if things with the student was resolved... but I hope so... I also need to remind myself that I am still new to this job.  Granted, the day to day stuff is pretty much second hand, though I often find myself shaking my head... but I have not yet experienced a school year's closing from an administrative perspective.  So while I am juggling a lot, I am also still learning...
I haven't blogged much... partly because so much of my life these days is work and while I have shared bits of things here, I don't feel I can post everything due to confidentiality and also because by the time I have processed everything, I am wiped out.
The lack of blogging also makes me realize that Betty is right, I need to find better balance.  I need to find ways to meet more people.  I am lucky, I have many friends, many people I can depend on... but most of those friends have families and are often busy... I could make more of an effort to try to see those friends, but also play that game of waiting to see who will call me... I don't always like being the caller.  One way  am hoping to expand my social circle is to volunteer.  I have decided to volunteer on a monthly basis at a soup kitchen.  I told Betty about it today and she asked me if it was something that would be depressing to do... I agree that it can be sad to see people who need that kind of help... but it also helps me appreciate things in my life.  I know that volunteering is about giving something, but I also believe that people who volunteer do so because they too get something out of it... for me... I am hoping to meet some other volunteers... and also feel that giving my time at the soup kitchen will make me feel less guilty for not giving money to the many homeless people that seem to be on more and more intersections asking for money.  That doesn't make the idea of volunteering seem very selfless... I may also consider volunteering at the red cross blood center.  I would only want to work the snack table, as a way to chat with people... but I don't want to commit to too much right now... I like not having my job on the turnpike, like not having to commit to those hours and yet I am looking to find ways to fill my time.  I also need to start doing more things out and about, even if it means going solo.  I need to start frequenting events or specific restaurants to get to know people.
I am hoping the warmer weather and longer days will also offer more opportunity to meet people.  I have not found any people at my gym who make me want to know them... and am wondering if I will run into people elsewhere.
I am looking forward to my April vacation... originally I had looked into heading to NYC.. Tom Hanks is starring in a Broadway show there...and I also learned Bette Midler is also performing!  Can you imagine seeing them both on Broadway??  But as I looked into the cost and knowing I have to soon buy four new tires for my truck... I thought it wiser to stay put... but there is much to look forward to.  As it works out there will be some unexpected adventures! Stay tuned on that one!
I do need to find better balance... and I will...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place