2/10/2013

Nemo in Maine

I decided to post some pictures of the winter storm we just endured.  
When I opened my door on Friday this was my view... 

The snow was midway up on the door.  This was after I pushed out through the door and then managed to sweep some of the snow away so I could stand on my top step...

This was the view from my door... the snow had fallen and blown around and I wondered how I would get my truck out... on a day like this I am grateful I rent!  

Later, the snowplow came and I was able to get my truck out.  This is a picture of my truck with the snowbanks in the background to show the height of the snowbanks... they are pretty high... 

Despite the weather, I ended up going out last night with a friend and it was nice to be out after the storm had subsided because there were not many people around.  It was fun to be out and I ran into someone I used to coach with.  the friend I was with was teasing me about being in an Irish bar because people assume I am Irish.  As we were debating my Irish-ness, a gentleman came to the bar to pay his tab.  He was almost as tall as I am, about 6'5 I would say, and I decided to get his opinion.  I asked him if he thought I was Irish and he said, without hesitation, "Absolutely!"  I laughed because I am not Irish and told him about a shirt I recently purchased that says World's tallest Leprechaun.  He thought that was funny and told me he had noticed me earlier and loved that I was so tall and introduced my friend and I to his wife.  We chatted a bit and then he asked, very politely, if he could give me a hug, said he just wanted to hug me, that I seemed so nice and because I was so tall.  It was cute.  It was a fun night.  

Today the sky was blue and the wind had died down.  I decided to go around town and take a few pictures and started in the park. 

Love the blue sky! 


This is a cool bridge in the park... I like this picture a lot... 








 More blue sky! 

The texture in the snow was pretty.  

In the park there are some places to play beach volleyball.  These folks decided to play snow volleyball and were having a blast.  This team was dancing after scoring a point!  Love that people are active, even in the winter.  Also notice the lady cross country skiing in the foreground.  


After the park I decided to go in town and take some pics of the snowbanks that were pretty good sized.  

I drove up to a place where you can see the bay and it was beautiful.  The snowbanks were pretty high here.  


The fort you  may remember seeing from my snowshoeing adventure... 

Off one of the boat landings these guys were taking a boat to the water... I couldn't help thinking how cold it would be to tip over... 




As I watched the boat guy rowing I looked back and saw people sledding...


I am glad he was staying close to shore! 



This is one of the streets in town.. it is hard to tell but the streets are narrow ...

This pic shows the height of the snowbanks...width as well...
 

One business wanted to make sure people knew they were open.  Pretty goo way to do it! 

 The snow removal continues... snow from the city streets gets moved to remote locations to keep the streets cleared... they were moving a lot of snow today!

Just a shot of some of the buildings...

I love living in a place that is on the water.  This is the ferry terminal...

Someone left their sailboat in the water for the winter... I am sure the owners are dreaming of sailing weather! 

This bike rack surprised me by being so full.  The bikes look like they have been there for a long time...

In the winter many of the floats that are in the water to help people access their boats are stored on the pier. Attached to the floats are many mussels... these are some mussels that had fallen off...

I like living by the water! 


This seagull was very much unafraid of me... I almost stepped on it before realizing it was there... 


As I was on the pier a plane flew overhead... guess that means the airport is running!  

Again... seagull...

 I know they are scavengers.. but still pretty birds...


This picture would have been more dramatic if taken from the other angle.  I was walking on the pier and it just looked like it ended... I think the gate is supposed to be closed here, but assume that when people plowed the pier they simply push it into the water... but, if people were unaware of it ending and visibility was bad, someone could easily fall in... in fact there was a person here that, according to the news, was blown into the water off the pier during the storm... I wonder if this open gate had anything to do with it.  

More pictures of mussels ...



This is how we remove snow in Maine!  now THAT is a snow blower! 

The storm hit and is now gone... reminding us all of what winter in Maine can really be like.  
I didn't hate it.  

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place