9/30/2012

13.1

Today is the Maine Marathon and Half Marathon.  As I type this there are close to 3000 runners/walkers out on the course... I should have been with them... but... I have not had time to devote to training.  Starting my new job has kept me very busy and it would not have been smart for me to try to do 13.1 miles today.  For this year's marathon there were about 7 of us who were going to do it together, not all at the same pace, but start together and celebrate together at the end.... 2 of that group are actually participating... Sis and her friend Kalyn.  Here they are yesterday at packet pick ups...

They have both been working really hard to get to today and I am proud of them both!  And yes, a little jealous...

It is raining now as I type... it wasn't raining when they started, it was misting... So as they are out on the course I am toasty warm at home... I will head out soon to cheer them and others on as they approach the finish line...

To help them carb load this weekend I had bought some pumpkin whole wheat bread (Yes, Michael, pumpkin mmmmmmm)... they are both fans... the bakery nearby that makes the bread puts out a monthly bread schedule... and September's schedule only had pumpkin whole wheat on the calendar once... not knowing if they would have it again I had bought two loaves, put one in the freezer and left the other one out to have with my guests this weekend... Kalyn wanted to buy a loaf to take back to her Aunt who is watching her kids as her husband is also doing a race this weekend... so while they are out running the half... I walked to the bakery and bought the last two loaves!  And... am happy to report, got October's bread schedule and pumpkin whole wheat is on the calendar for every Tuesday.   (That means I will get some for Dad at some point too, because he would love it!)

Anyway , enough bread talk... I am disappointed that I am not able to do the half today... it was a goal I had set for myself and as a distraction too. In case I did not get  anew job,  I needed to have something to focus on... but having the new job has made it difficult to find time to work out... I have not regained any of the weight I lost after doing the 100 day challenge which I am happy about, but do want to get in better shape, and have it become part of my routine once again.  I am also looking forward to starting at a new gym and meet some new people.

I am really proud of Sis... I see today, her completion of the half marathon as such a symbolic thing... She has gone through a lot in the last few years... besides losing Mom, she has made drastic changes in her life, a new job and a pending divorce which has led her to living solo for just over a year now... She had never lived solo before this, and she has done well adjusting to it and embracing it.  In many ways she is a single Mom, not that she wasn't in many ways a single mom before.... she has been accepted in and has begun taking classes in a masters program, and has still managed to train and be ready for today's race.  She is amazing... strong...determined... beautiful... I am so proud of her. 

Well, I'm off to cheer on the marathoners as they complete their race!  (Though it is tempting to stay inside, where it is toasty and warm! Perhaps a hot chocolate is in order...) 

1 comment:

carolee said...

just finding this now. wow. that's me? thank you.

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place