10/16/2011

Think Pink


Today I walked 3 miles in an effort to raise money for breast cancer research.  I did the walk because one of my best friends, Debbie, has breast cancer.  I have mentioned her here but have not shared much about her journey here because I have struggled with what and how to share it... It isn't my story to tell, it's hers... and I have tried to be mindful of that.  As the date of the walk got closer, Debbie got more and more emotional.  She was all about doing it, getting it done... she hates to be the focus of people's attention and to have people participate in a breast cancer walk with her because she has breast cancer has been overwhelming to her.  She handled it gracefully today.  This is a picture of most of our group... about 20 people were there as part of Debbie's Bosom Buddies... not to mention the hundreds of other people there, walking in honor of someone they know or because they have or have had breast cancer.  

 This is Debbie's son.  He walked the entire time... no complaints... I think a lot about him... wonder what he is wondering.  Today there was a girl scout troop there, giving pins to people doing the walk.  They approached people offering the pins and explained they were there because the founder of the Girl Scouts had died from breast cancer.  Debbie's husband told me that the girls said that in front of Zach... It's one of those tough situations... the girls were doing a great thing, being involved in such a great cause... and probably none of their troop leaders thought about how that would sound to a seven year old boy whose mom has breast cancer...

This is the sign Debbie made so that we could all find her.  A journalist form the local paper saw her sign, photographed it and approached Debbie to ask about her reason for being there.  I thought Deb may fall apart and not want to talk to the reporter, but she was poised and shared a bit of her story.  Perhaps Debbie will be in the paper tomorrow as the headline talks about the hundreds walking for breast cancer... but will the article be able to convey how cancer truly effects people and their families?  Debbie did not want to buy one of the t-shirts for the walk... does not want things to remind her, to be in her face, about having breast cancer...because it is there enough, without a tshirt...

 This is Mark, Deb's husband, being a good sport sporting the pink scarf.

This was one of my favorite parts of the day...Debbie got to meet, in person, for the first time, a woman with whom she has been corresponding since her diagnosis.  One of Deb's friends connected them because the other woman has gone through what Debbie is going through and has been able to understand in a way nobody else truly can.  Their meeting was emotional for both of them... I look at this picture and think.. how beautiful she is.. my friend... my beautiful friend.

There were a lot of cool shirts being worn at the walk.  This was one of my favorites:

The path of the walk took us by the Occupy Portland 'camp.'  This sign was posted there, for their cause, not for breast cancer... but... I thought it was fitting... Imagine a world without cancer... Imagine...

This walk was different than the other walks I have done.  I have done walks in recent years where participants are racing, trying to beat the clock.  Today... there was no competition... just walking.  It was nice to see the groups of people walking together, all ages... As I have mentioned here before, a book I often revisit, Conversations with God, says that humans act for one of two reasons... out of fear or out of love... Today's walk... was out of love...


This is the Portland Observatory.  We walked past it on the walk and I like the picture!

The course took us through the city of Portland and down to Casco Bay.  Our group paused for a second to make sure everyone caught up.

Lots of people... think about that.. this is one walk in one city in one part of the US... Not every person whose life has been impacted by breast cancer in Portland participated today.. but many many did... Breast cancer is ONE form of cancer... and the lives it invades... are numerous... Think about the other cities, the other states, the other countries... and how many people have had to deal with breast cancer... and of course other kinds of cancers...




I love Debbie's dace in this picture, the smile!  She is so full of life!  I love her! I hate that she is fighting for her life.


Of course there were people walking in memory of someone they loved...someone who wasn't here today to join in the walk... Real men wear pink ...

On the way to the walk today I picked up my friend Suellen who is also friends with Debbie... we were talking about Debbie and how she would do today... I shared that Debbie was worried about the emotionality of the day..and she asked me how I was doing today, emotionally... that is a hard question.

Before the walk, in the days leading up to it... I have had some anxiety... some angst...and if I am candid... some resentment... and guilt that accompanies that resentment... I am glad that research has been able to improve how breast cancer is fought....that many many people are able to survive and live life in remission... but I hate that there was no way to fight the cancer that killed Mom.  After having gone through what we did with Mom... I am not sure that I believe in a cure for cancer... I think some are treatable and manageable... but I don't think there is a cure... There are not walks for every cancer, for every other disease... there are not enough miles...

I hope... that we can do this walk together again next year,  that Debbie's battle with breast cancer is behind her... that she wins the battle.... but... I am also terrified...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place