2/08/2009

Championship

Yesterday were the regional meets for the track teams I coach. The kids did well. The kids I work with the most on the team are the kids who throw shot put. A couple of the kids have had a consistently good season, but others have struggled to perform as well at the meets as they have at practices. As a coach, it has been frustrating. The last couple of weeks I have tried to be harder on the kids and I think it paid off. Yesterday five of my kids did really well, getting new personal records. It is a good way for them to end the season... Only two of my throwers have qualified to go to the state meet, but that's ok... because the ones who won't go to states, who got their personal records, are still proud of themselves.

I have enjoyed this season of coaching... and in ways the kids don't realize, they have helped me through this rough time. Seeing those kids 6 days a week between practices, team dinners, and meets, has been nice. I look forward to seeing them... that being said... I am happy that the season is ending. We have a final meet a week from tomorrow and the high school season will be over. In the meantime, the middle school season starts tomorrow. (The two seasons overlap for about a week.) We had an informational meeting on Friday and we had about 125-130 kids show up for the meeting. My role this season, for the middle school, will be different this year. A few weeks ago I made the decision that I do not want weekend commitments. I want to be able to go see mom and dad every weekend that I can. So I spoke with the other coach and offered to resign from the position, but he asked me to stay on... doing all the computer pieces and organizing pieces... he wants me to do all that because he hates that aspect of coaching and he also knows my circumstances and wants to make sure I can get the stipend. I appreciate that a lot... and it will take some pressure off of me, but I do feel guilty. I won't have a chane to build rapport with the kids like I usually do... but... it will work.

Additionally, I will be making the programs for the meets for our league. I am happy about that. It's been a fun distraction and I enjoy putting things together like that.

Anyway... I think I am going ot be totally lazy for a while, I am going to lay on my couch and watch tv...later tonight I am going out with some friends to celebrate one of their birthdays... it will be fun. Maybe I'll take some pictures... haven't taken any pictures in a while.

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place