10/12/2013

First time camper!

My alarm went off this morning at about 5:35 a.m. 
5:35 a.m. on a SATURDAY!!!?? Yup.  I was up because some students from my school were going on an overnight camping trip.  One of the students who was going is a kid who I have worked with closely.  He has had his ups and downs and has a lot stacked against him... but I believe he has more on his side than he does against him... He is a student who reached out to me over the summer because cops had shown up at his house to question him because two of his good friends had robbed a house and had carried some of the stolen items through his bedroom window.  He does not want to be involved with crimes but they are all around him.  English is not his first language and in addition to that I truly believe that he is a student with a learning disability... however because of the language barrier it is hard to assess accurately.  He is a kid who is always thinking... and has many burdens... One of his teachers and I have teamed up to keep this kid on the right track.  We both have done home visits, given him and some of his family members rides home... we see so much in him.  His teacher invited him to participate in this camping trio and after a lot of pushing, he agreed to go.  They were supposed to go to Acadia, but because the national parks are shut down that wasn't an option.  They chose an alternate site.  He has not traveled further north more than 15 miles from where he lives here.  Of course he has traveled, coming from his home country, but since being here he has stayed very close to home. 
He has never been camping.  Never slept in a tent.  He was nervous....and excited.  Nobody in his family has a car so he had no way to get to the bus to meet everyone and the public transportation did not go there either.  So, I decided to pick him up and take him.  I was afraid that he would not be ready to go, that he would bail, decide not to go, but he was ready.  I had bought him some warm clothes as he didn't have long underwear or anything fleece... He was very appreciative.  He was a little nervous because the people going are not people he has spent time with at school.  A couple of the kids introduced themselves to him this week which I think helped a lot.  As we got to the spot to meet everyone he told me that he had slept a lot yesterday because he knew he would not sleep on this trip.  He slept from 3pm to 10pm, got up for a snack, and then went back to bed and got up this morning.  I asked him why he had done that and he said he wouldn't sleep.  He didn't say it, but I Think that he is afraid that someone is going to 'jump' him out there.  His life experience has been to not trust people and be ready to get jumped.  I told him he would be okay... and hope he isn't too nervous.  I let him borrow my old digital camera, and hope he gets some great pictures.  I can't wait to hear about his adventure.  Watching him today... he was smiling as people greeted him.  he was confident but in a different way than I have seen him.  Typically he maintains a tough persona and this morning he looked relaxed with this crew.  I cannot wait to hear about it!!!


No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place