2/23/2011

Signs of hope...

I saw a robin recenlty. I was elated to see that red breasted bird flitting about in a tree still buried in snow. It means that spring is coming, a definite sign. It has been a long winter, lonnnng winter. I am not one of those Mainers who loves winter. I don't ski and prefer to be outside when the water is not frozen, when I can kayak.

I had some anxiety about how I would survive this winter... it is the first winter I have not coached in a long time. Coaching was something that helped me pass the time during winter; it helped me keep my mind off the fact it was so dark and cold around me. But I am happy to say that without coaching I have managed to not only survive, but have been able to live... Time that was consumed by practices and meets was used to finishe graduate work and spend time with the people in my life... of course there is never really enough time to spend with the people you love, but it has been nice to have more control over my time. I have wored on the tolls some, but not a lot.

This spring seems brighter to me than in recent years. I am graduating, from a program that I have been working on for what feels like, years and years. The truth is, I think it's been about a five year process... Five years seems like a long time to finish a masters... but there have been some bumps along this road...my knee, my grandmother's battle with cancer and death, and Mom's battle with cancer and death... okay, maybe those are more than just bumps along the way... I told my professor recently, that it is nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel getting brighter and this time I KNOW that it's not a train coming at me!

With earning my masters degree I have decided that it is time for me to spread my wings a little more and loko for a new job. I love the work that I do with the kids... students with special needs have inspired me and will continue to do so as I transition into either a principal or assistant principal position. I firmly believe that what is good for kids with disabilities is good for all kids... meaning that tools/strategies that help kids who have disabilities can also help kids who are classified as 'normal'. As a leader of a school I look forward to being able to set the tone of an entire building, not just my calssroom. I am going to be very selective in the jobs for which I apply and accepting of a job that will hopefully be offered to me. I don't want to have a job as an administrator for the sake of having that role... I want to be in a place that is an incredible place for kids.

I feel.... do I dare to put this out there? Or will the universe use it against me to try to teach me yet one more lesson about the harshness of the world?..... I feel like good things are on the horizon... and this is definnitely a turning point for me... not just career-wise...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place