6/08/2010

Getting over myself...

Yesterday I had my blood drawn....again. I am not enjoying this routine of having my blood tested and taking blood thinners each day. I feel like I had the clot I gave myself shots (from which I still have a few bruises I may add) and have been on this medication for over a month... and I don't want to have to do it anymore. I don't want to take medicine every day... it's frustrating. So yesterday when I was having my blood drawn I mentioned to the man drawing it that even though the people at that lab are nice, I was hoping to not have to see them for too much longer... My doctor had told me that I would be on the blood thinners for 3-6 months... and so far it has been about a month... so I said I hoped I only had two months left of the medication. He smiled... I am sure he hears that kind of stuff all the time. Then he said... "the other day a woman was in here having her blood drawn, she comes in almost daily, and she was complaining to her husband about the process and all of her bruises... and he looked at her and just said... well, since it's keeping you alive...I'd say it's worth it..." Perspective. There it was. I'm not sure what condition this woman has, but I got the point... While I feel good right now... I am still at risk... and I NEED to be on this medication to make sure I AM healthy... and if I have to get my blood drawn here and there to do what I have to do... then I need to suck it up and get over it...

1 comment:

Maineman said...

Perspective is right, TallGal. The less medications taken, hopefully none at all, are best case scenario for anybody. Depending on one's condition however, a prescribed medication's benefits may outweigh it's detriments. I'm glad for you though, that you're willing to suck it up, despite enormous temptation to want to stop taking the blood thinners. Perspective and thinking about the "long-term" benefit by staying on them, increase the liklihood of a successful and healthy outcome. Best wishes towards that. I'm always pulling for you TallGal. Take good care.

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place