2/22/2015

Before 40

The process of buying a house is... well.. daunting...
to continue with the Ally McBeal theme from yesterday... one of the last episodes I watched last night was when Ally bough a house.. and there was a moment where she is defending her choice... to a friend who said something about buying a house was something people are supposed to do as a couple...well... obviously needing to have a husband is not a requirement for getting a mortgage... I have considered myself an independent woman for as long as I can remember... I dislike the women who play the damsel in distress role... but I had always envisioned buying a house with a husband...

In recent years a couple of my female friends have bought homes on their own... and I admired it... and started thinking about buying a place of my own... that's where the home ownership process begins... dreaming... I gave a lot of thought to what kind of home I would want to buy... and originally, I told myself that as a single woman, it would make most sense to buy a condo... a place where the grounds were kept... snow removed... but after renting a condo and seeing a bit of how the association is run and hearing other people who have had terrible experiences with condo associations...  and I fell in love with the idea of not sharing a wall with anyone... to not have to deal with parking issues... and to have a place to store my kayaks without having the association tell me I can't... so a stand alone home makes a better choice for me. 

So... I think I have mentioned that the process of buying a house is a sleepless one... at least for me... so many things to think about... so much responsibility... and the emotions of it all...

I was worried that undertaking this process would make me think more about being single... and it has.. but not in a bad way... I feel really proud that I am doing this, buying my home as a single woman...

It does make me emotional... to not have Mom here for it... I just think she would love this house... and I hope to have plenty of her touches there... and it's emotional for me when it comes to my dad as well... Dad is very generous and has helped me with this process and will continue to help me..... I have a Daddy do list in the works... When I talk to him about the house... I can tell he is proud of me... and I hope he loves the house... I hope he agrees that it is a great place for me...

I will be glad when the process is over... to move in... we have a few more steps to take to get there... but it will be here ... before I turn 40! 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place