1/04/2015

Is it back?

I said it out loud to a couple of my friends on New Year's Eve...and had shared it with Michael via text... but haven't posted anything about it here... until now... My knee... my PVNS knee... has been bothering me... and I am scared... The truth of the matter is it has been hurting off and on since mid summer, but I have attributed it to many things... including my weight and inactivity.. which go hand in hand... It's a double edged sword as people with PVNS know... inactivity often makes your joint feel better, but does little to stay healthy... and being active to be/stay/get healthy makes the joint hurt...
I am not yet willing to say that PVNS is back in my knee.. in fact I am going to deny that possibility for a while... and do some... experimenting before I give in and make an appointment with a doctor.  (Yes, I know it would take some time to get into my Boston doc... but I am ok with that...) I said it out loud to my chiropractor the other day and she worked on my IT band and hamstring, and maybe it is psychological, but I think it felt a little better after that... then on Satuday I went to acupuncture for the first time and told the needle guy about it... and he supposedly addressed it in my session... I am not yet sure if that made any difference... but I think my left  hip (one of my always painful places since PVNS began, due to favoring that knee for so long...)  feels quite a bit better... even if it is psychological, the placebo effect, I'll take it...
So... I have decided to see if I can work with chiropractor and acupuncturist for a while and also add to that some of the physical therapy exercises I did before and after PVNS surgery and when I have worked out and done well with it, have done those exercises to maintain the strength in the muscles around my knee... and I think it helped...
I am guilty of not doing much to take care of myself physically in a while... and this is a good wake up call.  I went to the gym this morning and did a few miles on the bike, then did 15-20 minutes of physical therapy exercises for my legs/knees... and am hoping that will help... I am also going to walk each day before school for 30 minutes.  I have committed to my staff that I will do that, and I am going to honor that. 
So... PVNS may be back... or maybe it's the arthritis in my knee ... or maybe it's my inactivity... or a combination of any of the above... but... I am addressing it... just not immediately heading to the doctor... fingers crossed this will help...(and optimistic it will since it felt better after the chiro and hasn't blown up like a balloon since the gym this morning...)  not sure I can face a repeat surgery...


No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place