8/01/2013

The Boys... Part 2...

Sooo... after the boys and I spent the day in the truck on Friday, exploring some cool things, we spent the day Saturday at the lake with Dad and Betty.  Ironically it was the same day as my high school reunion... and I opted to stay with the family, and am glad about my choice.  It was nice to get time at the lake.  At one point Jack (middle nephew) and I went on a kayak paddle together.  We saw a bald eagle in a tree above us... as we paddled we talked a lot.  He is a very insightful kid.  On the surface, out of the three boys, he is very hyper and his attention span seems quite low, his body often needs to be in motion.  He moves from one thing to another before picking things up from the first thing... but... he pays attention... and he listens...  a lot.  As we were paddling he talked about how much he liked being at the lake, being able to do so much outside... how it can be hard to be inside because he needs to move so much.  He knows himself well... a gift I think... especially at his age.  He is book smart too... but needs more than books to entertain him... 

The younger brothers got up fairly early and hit the lake kayaking well before Ben was up... but to my surprise as soon as Ben got up he was in his bathing suit and jumped in the water.  it was fun to watch the boys jumping in the water and playing together.  Ben is enough older that he at times, feels like he is too old to participate in some of the shenanigans that the brothers do, but... then, when he decides he gets bored of doing the adult thing and jump into what the brothers are doing, he has so much fun and laughs... I love that.  


 Saturday night we played canasta... the boys are enjoying it and getting quite good I may add!  

On Sunday, we headed north, to the mountain... and stopped at this iconic rock.  (Iconic in Maine anyway!)  


As soon as we got to the campground the boys wanted to do everything all at once.  I took them kayaking to show them an area where they would be allowed to go without me.  They thought that was pretty cool.  They went a couple times without me, but for the most part wanted us to all be together.  

After showing them the places they could go solo they wanted to go up the river and we explored some of the areas I love... it was so nice to have them there... I kept thinking how happy Mom would be seeing them here... together... 

Jack caught a frog on his paddle... 

And Ben... I need to put this up next to a picture I have of Mom in her kayak... 

ahhh... my boys... 

One of the inlets is very shallow... and there is quite a current... these two were determined to paddle upstream... and they did pretty well.  It was so shallow they kept having to get out of their kayaks to move them off rocks... too cute! 

Then they wanted to fish... so Dad got them going... we had a few fish on the line...



When dinner time rolled around, we decided to cook hot dogs over the fire... the boys said they had never done it before... Ben loved it! 


While we were there the hummingbirds were very active on all the feeders in the campground.  They were fighting for food and were a constant presence... 


Monday morning Dad, Betty, Jack, and Davin and I went for a short walk.  Ben... was still sleeping... we let him sleep a lot ... he's 13... he needs it! 


WE walked by the gravel pit... and the boys saw it as something to conquer!  

and then slide down! 

Then we decided to make our family totem pole... (Even dad painted!!)  

See the resemblance? Too cute!





Each person painted/decorated a can to represent something about themselves... and we stacked them together... We made one for Sis too... fun!  


Dad then taught them about building a fire... in this photo, they are smelling the wood... didn't know that was a requirement, but.... dad explained cedar is a good kindling... 

 That night I walked the boys up onto the bridge... where there is a panoramic view of the stars.  They loved it... especially Jack.  While we were up there, he leaned on me and said he understood why people love Maine so much... he said he knew it was cool because he had family here, but seeing this place, "He got it!"  He got it.  That kid... made my heart smile... 
The next morning Davin and Jack wanted to get up early and kayak... so we did... I was worried they would lose energy and selfishly I wanted to go up the river a ways to see if there were critters... and the boys, to my surprise did great!  On the way up the river we pass all kinds of inlets... all of which Mom and I named... we passed one spot, Baxter Bay and I told the boys we would explore it on our way back down... trying to use their energy to get as far up the river as possible... and as I paddled I talked to Mom... I asked her to bring a moose to Baxter Bay so the boys could see one... 

When we returned down the river I told the boys to ask Gramie to bring a moose to Baxter Bay for us... and as we paddled in... there was a mother and baby... I am not gonna lie... it choked me up a bit..   (probably why I didn't get great pictures... )  Jack and Davin said they were convinced Mom had brought the moose... Jack said he thinks the moose were Mom and my grandmother, saying hello to us... 

Later in the day we went to the 'beach'... not sure why it has been called that... it is not a sandy beach... it is a rocky part of the river where it splits... on one side the main part of the river, on the other side, there is a bit of a waterfall and at each level of the waterfall there are pools in which you can swim... or you can let the current take you and you go down over the rocks, which are smooth, and it takes you back to the river... 


In one of the pools there is a rope swing... the boys loved it! 

Ben and Jack dove in... Davin was a little more nervous and cautious... but Ben did a great job trying to help him... with some big brother man handling in between...

Jack... he is so shy! 

Ben... growing up so fast... 

Davin... still our little man... 





Eventually Davin faced his fear and went into the pool with the most current and whitewater... and enjoyed it.  

Managed to float down the waterfall... 

And catch the rope swing... just like the older brothers... he was quite proud! 


Dad missed out on going here... I wish he had been with us... he stayed at the campground to prepare the bread dough for the afternoon snacks... 

Time for fried dough! 


That evening the boys were getting a bit restless... and we decided to all get in Dad's truck and go on a moose hunt... we almost had a hawk fly into the truck... but it changed its mind last minute... what a story that would have been! 

The drive took us back to the rock.. and I am glad... loved getting a picture of Dad and Betty with the boys here... 

And I like this picture of me with the boys! 

This is the view of Mt. Katahdin from the bridge... (Where we looked at the stars.) 

And... as we drove, we caught a glimpse of the mother and baby moose through the trees in tadpole terrace (Which we could not access from the river in our kayaks because of the water level being so low and the abandoned beaver dam blocking our way.)  we walked through the woods to see them... and they did not stay around for long.  Jack... said he had been talking to Mom in his head... wanting Ben to have the chance to see moose since he had slept through the morning paddle... I do think seeing the same Mom and baby was not a coincidence... and I may note... this is the first mother and baby moose I have seen up there since Mom died... Thanks Mom! 

The boys needed to test their fire building skills... and they passed with flying colors... 

Wednesday we got up, packed up, hung around for a few games and lunch (Dad's homemade spaghetti sauce.. YUM!) then hit the road.  

But not before a few parting pictures... Jack is holding the mountain over his head... strong kid!  

On the way back to my place we stopped to visit Aunt Donna and Aunt Sharon.  It was great to see them. They ate ALL of the food she offered them, ALL of the food... and entertained with their conversations. 

We got back to my place around 7:30 an relaxed for the evening... 

Love having these guys here.... today we had a lazy morning then hit the beach with Jacey (Pics soon.)  Jack asked if they could stay longer... even asked his father on the phone tonight if they HAD to leave so soon... Love that they love it here... 

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place