10/04/2014

Right fighting?

So... I have recovered from the colonoscopy... though the hospital and medical staff have not heard the last from me... I have a letter in the works and will not let it go..

Letting go is something that is hard for me... I get fired up about things... hold onto things... and it is hard to let go... last night I saw a story on a local news station... it was about a video that has gone viral... it wasn't a cute cat video or elephants being reunited... it was of a man in an airport who was having a very difficult time.. he had disrobed and was having a bit of a meltdown... the story not only showed the video...but showed groups of people watching the video with reactions of laughter and mockery.... it bothered me... then after the video was over the anchors chortled in with their insulting comments and laughed... this channel has a part of its website dedicated to preventing bullying... and it pissed me off... I fired off some emails to the anchors and to the news director saying I was mortified that a NEWS station would broadcast that as news... that their choice of story endorsed capitalizing on vulnerable people, people with disabilities or mental illness... I was livid... after the story I had to go to school for a football game and was obsessed with checking my phone to see if anyone responded to me... after a while I did get an email from the news director saying she agreed that the story should not have aired, that there were poor choices made all around and that she would be speaking to those responsible for those decisions and hoped that I would trust that their station stands for awareness of mental illness and anti bullying... should be a win, right??  I wanted to hear from the anchors as well... I wanted to hear that they were sorry for being asses, o recognize their mistake... so I kept checking my phone... and eventually got a reply from one of the anchors... who said he understood how the story could be perceived 'that way'... 'that way' being how I described it as offensive and insensitive... but never apologized.  I responded asking if it would be shown on the 11:00 broadcast and he said it would not... i responded again and asked if he regretted his part of the story... he avoided the question... and simply said he was sorry it had aired... I have yet to hear from the other anchor... but letting it go... is something I have yet to achieve...
So..... is it admirable that I get so fired up about this kind of stuff... or is it crazy? there are things I find unjust that I just can't let go of... hospital care... people in the hospital are so vulnerable... and when mom was in the hospital she was vulnerable, and we, her family, were also vulnerable... and there were inexcusable things that happened during that time... so when I had my bad experience last week... it triggers some of those memories, but also fires me up because I know there are people out there who are treated as poorly or worse and don't have a voice... but why do I push so hard?
Am I... what Doctor Phil would call a 'Right Fighter?' do I always have to be right?  I don't know... but this has made me think about how hard I hold on... how hard it is to let go... on my way home from the football game last night, I drove through downtown Portland... instead of getting on the highway... and drove by the buildings and streets I drive by so often.. but last night... the streets were full of memories... buildings were not just buildings, but places where I spent time with someone special...had intense conversations... moments where our timing was terrible... where we said goodbyes...and hellos... where we shared laughter and tears... and it would be so much easier if I could let it go...
I miss him terribly... I said good bye to him in January and have tried so hard to let him go... to let 'us' go... but... so far my efforts are unsuccessful... I anticipate emails from him... want to call him... and while we have had some communication since January he is trying hard to respect my boundaries... and I appreciate that...
How do I let it go? How do I let him go? Especially when my heart doesn't really want to, but my head knows it's time? The end of this month will mark 15 years since he and I met...
Why am I holding on so hard? Is there something about this that feels unjust that I feel the need to fix? Do I want it to work so that I can be right about how compatible I know we are? I don't know... but the memories last night... that were so vivid as I drove through some of our history... pull so hard at my heartstrings...but I need to let go...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place