12/10/2013

My day... and a project

Today was a pretty good day... I had a meeting at the career technology high school where some of my kids attend... the meeting was a way for me to advocate for a kid to stay in the school, he has not been attending consistently due to multiple suspensions and they wanted to kick him out... They agreed to one more chance... Fingers crossed... 

While I was there I was asked to talk about another student... my 'camper' kid... he had been struggling with another kid and had exchanged some unpleasant comments... he came into the meeting room and was surprised to see me.  He owned his behavior and we made some comparison's for him to help him understand... one of the other adults said something about how if he heard someone say something mean about me he should keep it to himself and not tell me because it may hurt my feelings.  (Trying to get him to understand that his real Friends will not tell him information just to get him riled up, a real Friend is going to try to help keep him calm...)  His response was cute.. he said, Nah... I wouldn't tell you what they said but I would take matters into my own hands... I smiled and thanked him for wanting to protect me, but explained I would not want him to do that.  I told him that he could offer a word on my behalf and that would be fine.  The other adult said, yeah you could just say to that person, she's a good lady.  The student shook his head and said, "Nah... she isn't a good lady...she's a great lady... she do a lot to help me..."  I was speechless for a minute... so nice to know what I do is for a reason... they do, eventually, get it... get why I do what I do... 


In other news...I have been working on a project for myself...I am not a big wine drinker... well, I like moscato, but most people don't consider that 'real' wine... but I do have a few wine glasses for when friends come over and have some margarita glasses... I have not had a great place to display them... I had bought some racks to hang them under my cupboards, but never got around to it... truth is, it's a boy job, a big one... one that would require saws and lumber... due to the way the cabinets are designed... and it didn't happen... also I have limited counter space and think that having glasses hanging from beneath my cupboards would make me feel like I had less counter space... so I have had my stemware on a hutch that I have.. but don't like that they take up the space they do... As a result I looked online for stemware racks that hang on the wall... and found one I thought would work... with a little paint... This is what they (I bought two) looked like when I got them...


Pretty basic... in order to make them fit in with my decor, I painted them black....and put some gloss on them, hoping they would be easier to dust when needed...


After a few coats of paint and a coat of gloss they dried and were ready to hang up... (I hate this part by the way... measuring, planning, leveling, blah blah boy job... but I did it, and hung them up tonight after I got home....)  


Then I put the glasses on the racks... 







I am very pleased! 

Now... to start getting ready for my holiday gathering this weekend...

No comments:

My Favorite Place

My Favorite Place